Thursday, February 16, 2006

Tweaking

I'm still tinkering with the site here, and have added a guestbook and am working on a site feed. The feed is live, but all I get is the title of the articles, not the text of them. Still trying to figure that out.
Also I am currently enjoying "Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall" I am still a novice when it comes to most jazz past the swing era, but I am beginning to emerge from the "I may not know much about jazz but I know what I like" stage. From what I have read, this recording is a lost record of a famous partnership that had previously not been adequately documented. Monk and Trane played together at the Five Spot Cafe for a short period of time, and it was while playing with Monk that Trane found his voice and was able to go on to make such legendary recordings as "Giant Steps" There were a few recordings made of the Blue Note appearances but they are poor quality and don't do the pair justice. This is a very good quality recording made from a charity appearance at Carnegie Hall in 1957 and is a very good listen.

No comments: