Friday, February 03, 2006

Widgets

I have recently been introduced by Carter's blog to a cool little desktop utility that allows one to do lots of little tasks from the desktop that usually require opening a web browser. The program is called Yahoo Widgets and the Widgets engine runs mini-apps on your desktop (or always on to of what you are doing if you wish) that save a lot of steps. The standard apps that come with the program are things like an analog clockface, a weather forecast for your area, and a search bar. The one widget that I have actually found myself utilizing the most is a desktop search bar for Thottbot, which is a service that collects information about World of Warcraft. If I'm playing the game, and I need to know where a certain NPC spawns I can tab out of the game and type in the weasel's name from desktop, saving a couple of steps. I have also loaded up a birthday reminder program that reminds me 7 days before all of those birthdays I can never remember. I also like the widget that blurts out random quotes from "The Family Guy"'s Stewie
Of course I realize there's a chance I am the last soul on the North American continent who wasn't familiar with Widgets, but I'm a sucker for pretty apps like this.
I quit taking the local Houston paper (really just a reprint of the NY Times with local sports scores) several months ago, and really the only thing I miss is the comics. Well there is a widget that lets me pick from 128 or so different comics and downloads them for my perusal. Very cool.

So, any fave Widgets out there, or do you perhaps use Google Toolbar instead?

No comments: